All content on this website is copyrighted. Do not use any content of this website without our written permission, to include photos.

Infringement of copyright is punishable by law!

Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Build - part 3

On February 10th we got another surprise!
Olive gave us our first egg.  It was little, but it was the prettiest shade of Olive green.
I guess Hyacinth just needed someone to show her how, because she joined in the next day.

It was just the motivator I needed.  This project was getting old fast.  On a good day, I have the attention span of a goldfish.  With this project going on and on and on, and the gloomy cold weather, and other LARGE projects looming I was starting to get overwhelmed.  But the new eggs set me back on the right path.

By February 15th, the snows had started to melt away.  It was still cold, but at least it was above freezing, barely.  The next step required me to wait for help.  There was NO WAY I could move plywood down to the build by myself AND hold it up, and secure it, and mark it, lower it down, cut it, and put it back up in the same place.  So Doc donned his polar bear suit and joined me for an afternoon of fun, and frolic in the great outdoor.  Well, at least that's what I told him.  Plus, I promised him roast beef for dinner.  Whatever works, eh?

Melting snow plus stomping feet equals wet, squishy, mud.  And it was cold. 40 degrees sounds ok, until you add in the wind.  It never fails.  If you need to work outside and don't want it, nature provides you howling winds on this hill.  Which is ok, unless you are moving full sheets of plywood.  I like to think that's how the Wright brothers got started.

Anyway, our plan was to lift the plywood to the coop walls, tack them in place with a couple of screws, mark the interior studs and roof line with a crayon, and then remove the wall to a saw horse.  I would then predrill the screw holes for the stud screws, while Doc cut the roof line and cut out the window openings.  Then we would simply lift the piece back up to the wall, use the predrilled holes, and attached the wall with screws.  We actually got into quite the groove. 10 sheets took us several hours, but by the time the sunset, the coop had walls! Painted WALLS! 


The neighbors now knew we were nuts.  We were half frozen, but we had walls....and roast beef for supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment